And so it is that another milestone in geeky date scenarios presents itself.
So first of all, later today check out The New 7 Wonders Foundation to see how the votes came out and what ended up on the list!
And here for your edification, some random historical notes on July 7th:
- In the year 175, July 7th marked Commodus‘ proclamation as Emperor. “AM I NOT MERCIFUL!!!!!”
- 1668 Isaac Newton gets his MA from Trinity College. “Isaac needs to concentrate more on Mathematics, Optics, Gravitation, Mechanics, Biology, Religion, Economy, etc. etc. etc.”
- 1947 Downed UFO found in Roswell – apparently.
- 1954 Elvis Presley makes his radio deput in Memphis when radio station WHBQ plays “That’s All Right.”
- 1959 [Please use fingers to over-emphasise quotes.] The “passage” of a “celestial body” crosses a “line” between an “observer” and “Venus,” as when the “Moon” moves between the “Earth” and the “Sun” in a “solar eclipse,” giving us the “diameter” of “Venus” and the “structure” of the “Venusian Atmosphere.” Oooooh.
- 1969 Brian Jones, founding member of The Rolling Stones drowns/is murdered/takes too many drugs.
- The Tanabata Festival in Japan. YIPPEE (ã‚ã‚ã„) Colorful streamers line the streets and wishes are written on small bits of paper and hung on bamboo all over the place. Vega and Altair, two stars usually seperated by the Milky Way, come together on July 7. Ancient Japanese proverb has these stars as a princess and a cowherding prince (moooo). So in love were they that they neglected their duties and received a finger-waving chastising from the King. Ordered to stay either side of the river (The Milky Way) and allowed to meet only one day a year. Love eh? What a bastard.
Lots of other stuff happened too I expect, some good, some bad. You could search for, oh, minutes and find something you like about July 7th. Find the most irrelevant thing and win NO PRIZES.