I’ve heard of marketing companies going overboard, what with The Dark Knight‘s viral advertising campaigns, etc. However, the freight train that is Zack Snyder‘s Watchmen is going further.
Not content with one of the biggest movies of the year, an animated DVD, and Watchmen: The End Is Nigh, there is also going to be an iPhone & iPod Touch MMO based on the graphic novel adaptation dubbed Watchmen: Justice is Coming.
Having literally just posted the story on The End Is Nigh, I’ve just read about the iPhone game — due for release in the App Store sometime this month. Happily, although the game is an MMO, there will be no monthly fee ala World of Warcraft — however more expansion packs are planned, and will most likely be chargeable. As yet we don’t know the impending price on the App Store.
The main story will take place in the 1970s just like The End Is Nigh, however, we’re not sure if the story from the episodic prequel will be involved in the MMO at all. Players will be able to create their own unique character and level them up by fighting crime, locating hidden artifacts, and completing storyline objectives. The game allows for thousands of players to interact in many ways, including a built-in voice chat feature.
The game’s listed features include:
- Rich real-time 3D environments with 1,000’s of other player-characters in-game.
- Create your own Watchmen avatar with unique look, skills, and costumes.
- Battle online foes through strategic 3D combat engine.
- Socialize with other online characters with in-game chat feature.
- Unique player identity with persistent game-play progress and stats.
- Adventure through 5 vast environments completing story objectives (Downtown, Red Light District, Cemetery, Financial District, City Park).
As the game is an MMO, you will obviously need internet connectivity to be able to play, so a WiFi connection would be the optimal choice. Check the game out when you can, and expect a review upon release here at the Geeks of Doom.
Official Website: http://www.watchmenjusticeiscoming.com/