Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 at 12:48 pm
Looking for another remake? Well you’ve come to the right place, or better yet time. Over the past couple years it seems like every month or two we get the [dis]pleasure of a new remake. This is especially true when it comes to the genre of science fiction and fantasy.
Well the new Clash Of The Titans looks to capitalize on this trend in movies. I personally have never seen the original but have heard about how enjoyable it was and will probably be renting it for a watch some time soon.
One of my favorite types of media is mythology-based fantasy. The Percy Jackson book series was one of my favorites because of its use of Greek mythology. That being said i was extremely excited for the new Clash Of The Titans. It lived up to my hype level and I am so happy for that.
The only thing that I would like to say is I have not seen the 3D version on principle. I refuse to support the Hollywood craze to up-convert movies. If you want to have a 3D film please, I beg of you, film it in 3D. But enough of that though, let’s get to the SPOILER TALK!
Below are some of my spoiler-filled thoughts on the film; Make sure to put in your spoilerific thoughts in the comments!
WARNING: If you have not seen the new Clash of the Titans, do NOT read any further. There be SPOILERS here.
– The movie opens up by quickly catching us all up on the story of Perseus’ (Sam Worthington) early life, telling us that the character is special in some way. So we know from the first couple of scenes who the main character of the story is and who will probably survive.
– Very quickly after this, and I mean extremely quickly, we see that the humans want to declare war on the Gods for using their prayers to be immortal but not giving anything back to them. Conversely, we just as quickly see that Zeus (Liam Neeson) is not pleased about this and is convinced by the very creepy Hades (Ralph Fiennes) to strike back by threatening the humans with the Kraken to turn them against each other.
– During all this commotion we see Perseus’ family get killed because of Hades punishment of the humans disrespect of Zeus. Thus fueling Perseus with a need for vengeance. Can you see where this movie is going yet?
– Hades pops up and kicks the crap out of tons of soldiers in the middle of a feast and kills the Queen for claiming that Andromeda (Alexa Davalos) is more beautiful than Athena herself. Which very well may be true because the biggest spoiler of them all is Davalos is GORGEOUS!
– In this scene we see that Perseus is not effected the same way that the rest of the humans are by Hades’ attack and realize how different Perseus is. This obviously leads to the revelation that Perseus is the son of Zeus and therefore a demi-god (Awesome!!!). This being caused by Zeus sleeping with a beautiful Queen which leads the King to kill his wife who was with child. Well the child survives and is now who we know as Perseus.
– Io (Gemma Arterton) is the most beautiful messenger in the world!!! She never ages and listening to her tell this story makes me happy!!!
– Hades then employs the King to kill Perseus by giving him some of his own power because he plans to kill Zeus and take over Olympus. Why is Lord Voldermort so mad at Aslan?!?!
– Then Perseus is gifted a sword from the gods to help him on his quest and also get to see the most awesome Pegasus ever!!! This is obviously a foreshadow to what will happen later in the movie when Perseus will definitely get to ride Pegasus. He just needs a purse to carry his sparkly stick. I mean how the heck do you turn an awesome sword into such a girly object and expect Perseus to instill fear in his enemies?
– Perseus is thrust into a battle with Hades’ servant and then lead to a very well directed battle with tons of huge desert scorpions. How could you not love a scene where the main character cuts their way out of the creature they are fighting?!?! I wonder how long Worthington had to sit in goo to complete this scene.
– The Djinn are introduced which are very awesomely designed. I hope there is a special feature showing how they did the Djinn in this movie. Plus they are wicked cool to watch fighting. They are like blue shelled crab ninjas!
– Perseus and the rest of the group go to see the fates and quickly find out that the only way to defeat the Kraken is with Medusa and obviously that Perseus will have to die. My question is, which titans are clashing? The Kraken and who? Medusa? Is Medusa a Titan? I could be wrong, but I don’t think she is. I am not sure which is scarier though, a bad CGI Medussa or Uma Thurman as Medusa in Lightning Thief! Ahhhh!
– So we then get to follow Perseus and the rest into the underworld to go fight Medusa and retrieve her head because there is no way she will help them or even follow them out of her cave. Perseus is obviously the only person to survive this debacle because he is Perseus, and oh yeah a demi-god who actually figured out what a reflection is! Oh yeah and I might be the only one who thought this but I really thought Charon and his boat were amazingly done.
– In the saddest moment of the whole movie Io is killed by Hades’ servant who is then in turn killed by Perseus when he finally uses his gift, the magic sword, to kill him with. Perseus puts his sparkle stick in his purse after he finishes.
– The next scene is pretty much the only thing that could happen from all of this, Perseus sees Pegasus, jumps on, and grabs his magic sword and heads straight for the Kraken. I mean I could tell exactly where it was going at that point.
– This whole situation culminates in Perseus killing the Kraken, saving Andromeda, and working things out with Zeus by thwarting Hades’ plan to instill fear and gain power over Mount Olympus. The kill shot for the Kraken is pretty amazing and I loved the graphics for the movie as a whole especially the final fight scene with the Kraken.
– Oh yeah did I mention Andromeda is HOT!
Your turn, guys! What did you think of CLASH OF THE TITANS? How does it match up to the original? Did you watch in 3D? What did you think of the graphics?