Thursday, November 10th, 2011 at 3:45 pm
Chicken Little 3D Blu-ray/DVD Combo
Directed by Mark Dindal
Starring Zach Braff, Garry Marshall, Joan Cusack, Steve Zahn, Amy Sedaris, Don Knotts, Patrick Stewart
Walt Disney Video
Release Date: November 8, 2011
Is the Chicken Little 3D Blu-ray the end of the world, as we know it?
Chicken Little falls into that same mediocre Disney animated film category as Meet The Robinsons and Bolt and the more recent Mars Needs Moms. The movie proves that good animation can only get you so far. Without a compelling story, enjoyable characters, or good jokes, the film ultimately falls flat. The heart and storytelling of Pixar are sorely missed in Chicken Little, which relies too much on outdated references and animal gags that don’t entirely make sense in the world they’ve built.
The one bright spot for me in the film are the voice actors, whose depth and variety made my ears dance (my favorite being the mayor of Quahog himself, Adam West).
The 3D on the disc features some of the worst ghosting/cross talk I’ve seen on a Blu-ray and really took me out of the experience. Truly disappointing because 3D animation is the best application of the format that we have. I would only recommend the 3D disc to Chicken Little fanatics with a large amount of disposable income. If you fit that mold, you’re a rare bird indeed.
Official Synopsis: After Chicken Little causes widespread panic “” when he mistakes a falling acorn for a piece of the sky “” the young chicken is determined to restore his reputation. But just as things are starting to go his way, a real piece of the sky lands on his head. Chicken Little and his band of misfit friends, Abby Mallard (aka Ugly Duckling), Runt of the Litter and Fish Out of Water, attempt to save the world without sending the town into a whole new panic.
All of the disc’s special features are ported over from previous DVD and Blu-ray releases.
– Audio Commentary: Director Mark Dindal, producer Randy Fuller and visual effects supervisor Steve Goldberg give their own “sky is falling” moments, challenges they faced during the film’s creation, development, casting, and production in Chicken Little’s suitably candid audio commentary.
– Filmmaker Q&A: Video commentary by the filmmakers.
– Deleted Scenes (SD, 23 minutes): A large collection of deleted and alternate scenes will be a boon for fans, even though they’re presented in standard definition and cobbled together from a variety of early and unfinished sources.
– Hatching Chicken Little (SD, 18 minutes): A five-part behind-the-scenes featurette.
– Alien Invasion: A Space Invaders Chicken Little-themed interactive game
– Music Videos (SD, 6 minutes): “Shake Your Tail Feather” by the Cheetah Girls and “One Little Slip” by the Barenaked Ladies.
– Easter Eggs (SD, 2 minutes): Get it? Easter EGGS, Chicken, eggs! Anyone?
The film gets a 2 out of 5.
The 3D Blu-ray gets a 2.5 out of 5.
Note: The Chicken Little 3D Blu-ray Combo Pack is currently part of a Sale where you can order any two Disney titles on Blu-ray 3D and Save $10 from now through November 13, 2011.