In honor of Disneyland‘s 60th Anniversary, Disney In Depth will dedicate each edition in July to Walt’s original park. Accordingly, it only seems fitting to notate some of the elements that make Walt Disney’s original playground so special.
This marks the first half of a two-part edition that recognizes 60 of my favorite things to do while spending time at the happiest place on Earth: Disneyland.
1. Hearing random yodeling when walking around the Matterhorn.
2. Recognizing the names of famous Disney legends on the windows above Main Street, U.S.A.
3. Purchasing a trademark Disney snack (churro, Mickey Mouse ice cream bar, etc.).
4. Stepping on the center of Disneyland (it’s a tiny circular marker – hint: walk over to Sleeping Beauty Castle).
5. Watching guests in New Orleans Square obtain caricatures.
6. Lounging around the Refreshment Corner and listening to the pianist.
7. Interacting with one of the gags around Mickey’s Toontown (the mailbox is one of my favorites).
8. Waving to other guests from aboard the Monorail.
9. Guessing which hitchhiking ghost will join me on my Doom Buggy (Gus, Ezra or Phineas?).
10. Laughing with (not at) the Jungle Cruise skipper as he/she tells a wry joke.
11. Singing “like the birdies sing” in Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room (tweet, tweet, tweet, tweet, tweet).
12. Keeping my eyes peeled for a celebrity, whether an A-list Hollywood star or a Disney personality.
13. Competing for the highest daily score on Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters.
14. Sitting in the driver’s seat of a jeep aboard Indiana Jones Adventure.
15. Making a wish at Snow White’s Grotto.
16. Taking a guided tour (A Walk in Walt’s Footsteps is a sentimental favorite).
17. Snapping pictures of the Disneyland ducks near Rivers of America or Sleeping Beauty Castle.
18. Waiting for rope drop at the beginning of the day.
19. Stopping in to the Main Street Cinema during a warm afternoon to cool off and enjoy a classic Mickey Mouse short.
20. Surprising a fellow guest with a special Fastpass (if you cannot use it, pass it along to someone else; this is good karma, indeed).
21. Finding a good book or soundtrack at 20th Century Music Company on Main Street.
22. Burning some calories and participating on a team while rowing on Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes.
23. Recognizing a great Cast Member, whether via acknowledging his/her good work or taking the extra measure to write a note on a comment card at City Hall.
24. Purchasing a souvenir for a friend or family member in the Emporium.
25. Searching for Hidden Mickeys.
26. Throwing my hands up in the air while descending Splash Mountain.
27. Getting off my feet and heading to another side of the park while enjoying the classic Disneyland Railroad.
28. Cooling off in the Disney Gallery and observing some amazing artwork.
29. Saving miscellaneous materials from the day (for instance, receipts, maps, cards and other free goodies).
30. Quoting the scallions of Pirates of the Caribbean while on the ride.
But that was only the first half of my list. Check out Disney In Depth next Thursday for the final 30.
This is Brett Nachman, signing off. Follow me on Twitter for alerts of new editions of Disney In Depth, Thursdays on Geeks of Doom.