Josh Trank’s Former ‘Star Wars Anthology’ Film Still In Development
Thursday, August 13th, 2015 at 10:50 pm
The name Josh Trank has been in entertainment news a lot lately. The director came under fire for tweeting his frustrations on studio interference during the production of Fantastic Four, which then led to a series of reports citing his erratic behavior. But this wouldn’t be the first time that we heard of it. In fact, way back in May, he was let go from the second Star Wars Anthology film due to those reported acts of odd behavior.
At the time, it was thought that Trank’s Star Wars project was one of the two reported Star Wars Anthology films, and that his spot had been filled by directing duo Chris Miller and Phil Lord. But as it turns out, Miller and Lord’s Young Han Solo film is completely different from what Trank had been working on, and that Disney and Lucasfilm are still developing the film Trank has been on. More on the story below.
Sources close to EW tell them that just hours before Trank was a no-show at Star Wars Celebration back in March, Lucasfilm was prepared to show a sizzle reel of his work. However, the studio would neither confirm nor deny the existence of such reel, let alone that they would have shown it during the Star Wars Anthology panel, but it’s being speculated that it has to do with Boba Fett.
But just because Trank is gone doesn’t mean that the film is also going away. In fact, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy tells the site that it’s one of the many stories that they want to tell. Of course she was tight-lipped about what the story is about, but as previously mentioned, it is rumored to be about the bounty hunter Boba Fett.
“It’s still one of the stories that we absolutely want to tell,” she says. “There is a lot of innovative technology in and around what it is we’re doing with that story, so for a lot of reasons, we were comfortable postponing that. But we’re definitely still developing it.”
Kennedy explains that the film is still in the very early stages, and that they are not rushing to get it into production at the moment,
“We’re trying to get to a point,” she says, “where we’re never rushing for anything.”
Makes sense. If it isn’t ready, then what is the point of hurrying, since that would only hurt the film, as we have seen most recently.
It is rumored that this untitled Star Wars Anthology film is due out for a 2020 release, some time after the conclusion of the untitled Star Wars Episode IX, which is scheduled to hit theaters in 2019.