Back to the Future: The Game The 30th Anniversary Edition
Publisher: Telltale Games
Starring Christopher Lloyd, Tom Wilson, Claudia Wells, A.J. LoCasio
Platform: Playstation 4 | Xbox One
Release date: October 13, 2015
In honor of October 21, 2015, aka “Back to the Future Day,” I decided to check out Back to the Future: The Game, the 30th Anniversary Edition, from Telltale Games. If you haven’t gotten to play this edition yet, then you are in for a treat.
Back to the Future: The Game takes place six months after the events of Back to the Future Part III, where the year is 1986. The Bank in Hill Valley is holding an estate sale for the late Doctor Emmett Brown (voiced by the always talented Christopher Lloyd, reprising his franchise role). Marty McFly (voiced by A.J. LoCasio) shows up and finds out his father George is running the sale. The Delorean shows up without Doc, but with Einstein and a tape recorder. Marty finds out that the Doc (going under the name of Carl Sagan) is accused of arson of a speakeasy in 1931. From there the adventure is delivered in classic Back to the Future fashion.
The game is delivered in a series of 5 episodes, which is one of my favorite things about Telltale Games. Instead of being an action or roleplaying game, it is actually a point-and-click game with a lot of dialogue, and a lot of cut scenes. There is so much information included, and the player can be overloaded at times. While I love the cartoon feel and the story, I do have to say that one of my pet peeves with the game is that the dialogue does not match the mouth movement of the characters all the time. I will also say that the story at times fells a little too crazy where it seems that the final episode does not give the payoff it deserves.
Other than those two small issues, Back to the Future: The Game is a fun adventure through time. It explores multiple timelines and the power of love, family, and inspiration. If you haven’t played it yet, there is no time like the present (pun intended).
CELEBRATING THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF ONE OF THE MOST BELOVED MOVIES OF ALL TIME Six months after the events of Back to the Future Part III, the DeLorean Time Machine mysteriously returns to Hill Valley-driverless! Now, Marty must go back to 1931 to recruit the help of a reluctant teenage Emmett Brown in order to save 1985’s Doc from certain death. Can they repair the rifts of the past without accidentally erasing the future?
– Created in collaboration with movie trilogy co-writer and producer Bob Gale
– Features original movie cast members Christopher Lloyd (‘Doc’ Brown), Tom Wilson (Biff Tannen), Claudia Wells (Jennifer Parker), and in special cameo appearances, Michael J. Fox as McFlys of the past. And the future!
– Includes in-game access to exclusive content: a behind the scenes video featuring interviews with Bob Gale, Tom Wilson, members of the development team, and AJ LoCascio – the voice of young Marty McFly
– Your choices and actions change to story around you
– A classic Telltale game that lead to their breakout hits The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones, and Tales from the Borderlands