Sorry ‘The Last Jedi’ Haters, Rian Johnson Is Still Going To Make His ‘Star Wars’ Trilogy.
Thursday, February 14th, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Late last night, a number of clickbait sites ran with a report that said The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson would be walking away from his own trilogy of Star Wars films due to creative differences.
With movie sites and social media quickly reacting to the rumor, Johnson himself took to Twitter to squash the rumor and confirmed that he will be working on the trilogy as soon as he is finished working on Knives Out. More on the report below.
This rumor was traced back to SuperBroMovies. The post, which has since been deleted and followed up with an apology to Johnson, said that the director was no longer working on Star Wars. Obviously, a rumor as hot as this would come from a very reliable source. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. And Johnson took to Twitter to set the record straight:
No it isn’t true, I’m still working on the trilogy. With all due respect to the movie bros, who I’m sure are lovely kind bros with good fraternal intentions.
Johnson was hired to direct a new trilogy of films well before The Last Jedi would be released to theaters. That in itself showed how the film met (or maybe exceeded) Disney’s expectations and how much confidence they had in the director. While many fans (including myself) loved The Last Jedi, there are a number of those who believe that it ruined everything they loved about Star Wars. Naturally, they took their anger and frustrations out on the director and the cast on Twitter. Despite all of that venom and toxicity, Johnson intends to make his trilogy happen after he is done working on Knives Out.
The director even accepted SuperMovieBros’ apology, saying that it was all good and that the rumor game makes fandom more fun:
No harm no foul at all guys, thanks. I think the rumor game makes fandom funner. ðŸ‘ŠðŸ»
So now that it is all said and done, we can start focusing on what truly matters: what will a post-Skywalker Saga Star Wars look like after the still untitled Episode IX.
In addition to Johnson’s trilogy, we know that Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are working on their own series of Star Wars films. From what we know so far, these projects are not related to each other in any way. Other than that, we will be waiting for more developments, and update you as soon as they come in.