To the shock and dismay of Marvel fans, writer and director James Gunnwas fired from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 last weekend. The decision was made when decade-old tweets about child-rape and pedophilia were unearthed by conservative personalities Mike Cernovich and Jack Posobiec.
While the tweets were repulsive, they were made at a time when Gunn was a different person. Still, they were troubling enough for Disney to take quick action. Since then Guardians of the Galaxy stars and others have come to Gunn’s defense. Check out what they had to say below.
Another day, another big name losing a high-profile job. Disney has decided to fire Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 director James Gunn, who was set to direct the next installment of the series Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 for the company’s Marvel brand with production expected to begin early next year.
Disney made the decision after some vulgar tweets by Gunn from the past resurfaced. The director has since spoken about this, and you can see what he had to say below.
Though not at all surprising, the news that Starz has decided to cancelAsh vs Evil Dead after three seasons was no less devastating to fans.
And the news doesn’t get any better. For anyone who was hoping that now that the show has been canceled it might find another home or perhaps even lead to that fourth Evil Dead movie—which was whispered about here and there over the years after Army of Darkness, before the 2013 reboot and eventually the TV series arrived—that’s not going to happen, sadly. Bruce Campbell, who played Ash Williams in the original film trilogy and on Ash vs Evil Dead, has announced that he is retiring from playing that role after nearly four decades. Campbell made the announcement in a farewell message to fans, which you can read below.
Filmmaker Kevin Smith posted to his social media accounts today that he survived a “massive” heart attack last night after his stand-up performance at the Alex Theatre in Glendale, CA.
The 47-year-old filmmaker, best known for writing and directing Clerks and Chasing Amy, as well as starring in said films as the latter part of stoner duo Jay and Silent Bob, wrote that he went to the hospital after feeling ill after the first of two planned shows for the night. After cancelling his second performance to seek medical treatment, Smith said that the doctors discovered that he had had a “massive heart attack” with 100% blockage of the LAD artery, aka “the Widow-Maker.”
See below to read Smith’s full Facebook post, where he describes his ordeal and gives his thoughts about this near-death experience.
“The report of my death was an exaggeration.” – Mark Twain, 5/31/1897
On Tuesday, January 16th the Master of Horror John Carpenter turned 70. Rotten Tomatoes was quick to wish the acclaimed director, writer, and composer a Happy Birthday, with one minor mistake… they thought he was DEAD! They penned an article at 7:30 AM titled: “John Carpenter would have been 70 years old today!” In classical Twain-like manner, Carpenter responded on Twitter, “To Rotten Tomatoes, despite how it appears, I’m actually not dead.” Carpenter directed his first feature film in 1974 at only 26, the low-budget sci-fi comedy Dark Star. Four year later, he reinvented the genre with the most successful independent film of all time, Halloween. That record stood for 21 years until 1999’s The Blair Witch Project.