Disney CEO Not Expecting ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ To Be As Successful As ‘The Force Awakens’
Wednesday, September 21st, 2016 at 5:00 pm
The Star Wars universe will be venturing into a new galaxy this year as they will be releasing their first spinoff film. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will center on a group of Rebel fighters attempting to steal the plans to the Death Star. A true prequel that takes place before A New Hope. But the exciting part of the film is that it will focus on those who don’t have Jedi powers and have a ground war feel to it. But troubles behind-the-scenes have put the film in a very awkward position. Partially because Star Wars: The Force Awakens was such a massive hit, there are expectations that Disney should be able to follow up that same success for every new film released. And with the summer-long reshoots that took place and the addition of new creative forces, it seems like Rogue One could fall short of the expectations that The Force Awakens established last year.
And that’s what Disney CEO Bob Iger is not afraid to admit, but he is also remains optimistic that it could do very well based on the reactions to the marketing campaign. Check out what he had to say below.
While at the New York Goldman Sachs conference, Iger stressed to Variety that he doesn’t expect the movie to have the same box office record-breaking numbers. Here’s what he told them:
“We never felt it would do the level that “˜Force Awakens’ did,” Iger said. But based on the response to the trailers and posters, he said “The level of interest [in “˜Rogue One’] is as high as it was for “˜Force Awakens.'”
To be honest, any film even trying to match or exceed The Force Awakens would be futile. J.J. Abrams’ film grossed over $2.1 billion worldwide, making it the third highest grossing film in history. It is a very tall order for Rogue One to even attempt, even if they are telling an untold story and using familiar characters like Darth Vader.
It’s always good to keep your expectations at an even level, and Rogue One would be one of those films to do so. Despite the exciting premise and the return of Darth Vader, there are other things that are a cause of concern. Namely those reshoots. The ones that were said to fix the tone of the film after Disney execs were reportedly unhappy with a test screening. But it seems as though those issues have been fixed:
“It’s really interesting in terms of “˜Star Wars’ storytelling. “˜Star Wars’ has only been told as a saga, and this is a moment in time “¦ we love what we’ve seen.”
Regardless if Rogue One is a box office bomb, Disney will still continue to release Star Wars films in the coming years. They’ve got two more saga films, Episode VIII and Episode IX, and the Han Solo standalone film, plus more. Variety adds that Disney has plans for continuing to release more Star Wars films through 2021, and already has a writer lined up for a new spinoff set for a 2020 release.
No Comments »
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL
Leave a comment