How much do I love Toy Story? Like many who grew up with the 1995 masterpiece that introduced us all to Pixar, I appreciated every little ounce of it. Its ridiculous amount of terrific quotes symbolizes one of those reasons. Many of us entertainment buffs gravitate to movie quotes because they are poignant, funny, universal, or sometimes all three. The Toy Story films possess a mix of these qualities and offer too many great quotes that can fit in one edition. Therefore, I am dividing up the 25 best quotes per film over several editions of Disney In Depth in the next few months.
Let’s metaphorically travel back to 1995 and recall the excitement upon hearing – and eventually quoting – these 25 brilliant lines from Toy Story for the first time.
1. “The word I’m searching for, I can’t say, because there’s preschool toys present.” – Woody, upon being corrected by Buzz Lightyear that the new toy is called a “space ranger.”
2. “You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity.” – Buzz Lightyear, after being called by Woody as a “child’s play thing.”
3. “You uncultured swine! What’re you lookin’ at, ya hockey puck?” – Mr. Potato Head, resembling a Picasso piece, retorting to Hamm, who does not see the similarities.
4. “Tuesday night’s plastic corrosion awareness meeting was, I think, a big success.” – Woody, during his morning announcement to Andy’s toys.
5. “Who invited that kid?” – Mr. Potato Head, wondering why one of Andy’s birthday guests would bring bed-sheets.
6. “And I’m from Mattel. Well, I’m not really from Mattel, I’m actually from a smaller company that was purchased by Mattel in a leveraged buyout.” – Rex, explaining his corporate roots, to Buzz Lightyear.
7. “That wasn’t flying. That was falling with style!” – Woody, jealous of Buzz’s impressive “flight” over Andy’s bedroom.
8. “No one has ever attempted a double bypass brain transplant before.” – Sid, preparing for a toy operation.
9. “Great! Now I have guilt!” – Rex, regretting yet another decision.
10. “How did I get stuck with you as a moving buddy?” – Mr. Potato Head, grunting over being placed in the same box as neurotic Rex.
11. “I have been chosen! Farewell, my friends. I go on to a better place.” – one of the Little Green Men upon being selected by The Claw.
12. “I don’t believe that man’s ever been to medical school!” – Buzz Lightyear, about Sid the toy torturer.
13. “Way to go, Ida-ho!” – Hamm, reacting to hearing that a Mrs. Potato Head is one of Andy’s Christmas presents.
14. “I just don’t think I can take that kind of rejection!” – Rex, fretting over the possibility of Andy receiving a mean dinosaur toy.
15. “And there seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere.” – Buzz Lightyear, after “landing” on Andy’s bed.
16. “Yes sir, we’re next month’s garage sale fodder for sure!” – Hamm, upon seeing the boxes being carried to Andy’s birthday party.
17. “Reach for the sky!” – Woody, one of his pullstring sayings.
18. “One minute you’re defending the whole galaxy… and suddenly you find yourself suckin’ down Darjeeling with Marie Antoinette and her little sister.” – Buzz Lightyear, during a most delusional state in Molly’s bedroom.
19. “Look, over in that house is a kid who thinks you are the greatest, and it’s not because you’re a Space Ranger, pal, it’s because you’re a TOY!” – Woody, trying to convince a depressed Buzz Lightyear about his importance in Andy’s life.
20. “I wanna ride the pony.” – Sid, mumbling while he is dreaming.
21. “Laser-envy.” – Mr. Potato Head, commenting about Woody’s jealousy of Buzz Lightyear.
22. “Impressive wingspan.” – Hamm, reacting to seeing Buzz Lightyear’s wings for the first time.
23. “I don’t like confrontation!” – Rex, such the pacifist type.
24. “So play nice!” – Woody, “coming to life” in front of torturous Sid.
25. “To infinity… and beyond!” – Buzz Lightyear’s signature line
What do you think is the most memorable line from Toy Story? Share your favorites!
This is Brett Nachman, signing off. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for the next special Toy Story quote-themed edition when we recall 25 memorable lines from 1999’s Toy Story 2. Follow me on Twitter for alerts of future editions of Disney In Depth, Thursdays on Geeks of Doom.