This weekend sees the 25th anniversary of the release of the first Back To The Future movie. We’ll be taking a look back at the film all this week, and what a great way to launch our Back To The Future Week of Geek event then with the news this today from Universal Studios regarding the release the Back to the Future 25th Anniversary Trilogy!
For the first time ever on Blu-ray, the Back To The Future trilogy will be released on October 26, 2010 and contain over two hours of new bonus features, including an all-new, six-part retrospective documentary featuring never-before-seen interviews with the cast, crew and filmmakers, including star Michael J. Fox.
See below for full details on the upcoming Back to the Future 25th Anniversary Trilogy on Blu-ray and on DVD as well.
BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO Blu-rayâ„¢: Unleash the power of your HDTV with perfect picture and the purest digital sound available.
— U-CONTROL: Universalâ€™s exclusive signature feature allows viewers to learn more about their favorite film without ever leaving the movie.
- Setups & Payoffs: As you watch each of the three films, each â€œset upâ€ showcases items in the scene that prepare you for a future plot point. When you get to that moment in the film, the â€œpayoffâ€ is shown to complete the correlation.
- Storyboard Comparison: Compare key scenes in the movie with the original storyboards.
- Trivia Track: Get inside trivia and facts while you watch the movies.
— BD-LIVETM: Access the BD-Liveâ„¢ Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers and more!
— My Scenes: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movies.
— pocket BLUâ„¢: USHEâ€™s groundbreaking pocket BLU app uses iPhoneÂ®, iPodÂ® touch, iPadÂ®, BlackberryÂ®, Androidâ„¢, Windows and Macintosh computers and more to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-rayTM player and offers advanced features such as:
- Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-rayâ„¢ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Liveâ„¢ functions with ease.
- Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in their favorite episode.
- Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-rayâ„¢ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere thereâ€™s a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
- Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLUâ„¢-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-rayâ„¢. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
- Keyboard: Enter data into a Blu-rayâ„¢ player with your deviceâ€™s easy and intuitive keyboard.
— Archival Featurette Back to the Future Night: Hosted by Leslie Nielson, this original 30-minute special aired on NBC prior to the first television screening of the Back to the Future.
BLU-RAYâ„¢ and DVD BONUS FEATURES
— Tales from the Future: New six-part retrospective documentary featuring interviews with Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Director Robert Zemeckis, Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton, plus Executive Producer Steven Spielberg.*
- In the Beginning . . .: Delve into the genesis of the project, casting, re-casting, the DeLorean, sets and overall pre-production.
- Time to Go: Production stories through the release of the first film.
- Keeping Time: The score and the songs of the Back to the Future Trilogy.
- Time Flies: Learn more about how the sequel came about, the futuristic look, the special and visual effects, recreating 1955 and more.
- Third Timeâ€™s the Charm: Learn about building a western town, Doc Brownâ€™s love story, the casting of Mary Steenburgen, the train sequence and completing the Trilogy.
- The Test of Time: Back to the Future becomes a phenomenon! President Reagan quotes the film, the Back to the Future ride opens at Universal Studios theme park and fans rebuild the iconic DeLorean. The filmâ€™s cast and crew take a look back and discuss why these beloved movies live on.
— The Physics of Back To The Future: A discussion with celebrity best-selling author and physicist Dr. Michio Kaku about the overall appreciation of the science in the Back to the Future Trilogy*
— Nuclear Test Site Ending Storyboard Sequence: Storyboard sequence of the original proposed ending of the film.*
— 16 Deleted Scenes
— Michael J. Fox Q&A
— Q&A Commentaries with Director Robert Zemeckis and Producer Bob Gale
— Feature Commentaries with Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton
— Archival Featurettes
- Making the Trilogy: Chapters One, Two & Three: Original 2002 DVD documentary that takes a look back in time.
- The Making Of Back to the Future Part I, II & III: Provides a vintage and historic first look at the making of all three films.
- The Secrets of the Back to the Future Trilogy: a televised special hosted by Kirk Cameron addressing fans unanswered Back to the Future questions.
- Original Makeup Tests
- Production Design
- Designing the DeLorean
- Designing Time Travel
- Hoverboard Test
- Designing Hill Valley
- Designing the Campaign
— Back to the Future: The Ride
— Music Videos:
- Huey Lewis and the News â€œPower of Loveâ€
- ZZ Top â€œDoubleBackâ€
— Photo Galleries, Including Production Art, Additional Storyboards, Photographs, Marketing Materials and Character Portraits
— Theatrical Trailers
* Denotes new footage debuting on the 25th Anniversary Trilogy