You can listen to CNK’s covers of “Seasons In The Abyss” and “Too Fast For Love” here below.
There’s also covers of The Beastie Boys, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Guns N’ Roses, Leonard Cohen, Gary Glitter, and more. Now, most people might see this and think “I wonder what this French martial industrial/electronic black metal band would do to a Leonard Cohen song, or to The Beastie Boys?,” but not me. No, I was like, what the hell could they have done to Slayer’s “Seasons In The Abyss”? I mean, Slayer is Slayer after all. Then I found out former King Diamond/Mercyful Fate drummer Snowy Shaw (who I’ve seen live with both bands) does a guest spot on that cover (as well as on a few others on the album) and I just had to hear it.
Now, I love metal, everyone knows that, but I have to admit, French martial industrial/electronic black metal is new to me. After hearing this Slayer cover, I’m like, fuck this is good. Is it because I was lulled to sleep all afternoon by rock lullabies? Perhaps, but seriously, this is some cool shit. It sounds like Dimmu Borgir meets Rammstein meets Simple Minds meets Marilyn Manson meets Motley Crue meets the London Symphony Orchestra with a special guest appearance by Count Dracula. By the way, is this French? Because it sounds German to me (please forgive my stereotypically ignorant ethnocentric American ways, I’m the child of Baby Boomers).
01. Gadd Ist Godd (GARY GLITTER medley)
02. Sabotage (BEASTIE BOYS)
03. You Could Be Mine (GNR)
04. Everybody Knows (LEONARD COHEN)
05. Blood Is Thicker Than Water (IMPALED NAZARENE)
06. Seasons In The Abyss (SLAYER)
07. Too Fast For Love (MÃ–TLEY CRÃœE)
08. Weisses Fleisch (RAMMSTEIN)
09. Where The Wild Roses Grow (NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS)
10. I Am The Black Wizards (EMPEROR)
11. Blood Is Thicker Than Snow (IMPALED NAZARENE – alternate version)