February is here and along with it there are a slew of great movies and television shows being added to Netflix’s instant watch options for your viewing pleasure. Once again, there is something for everyone as Netflix adds streaming movies available for the first time and brings back a few classics from Airplane and A Fistful of Dollars to The Usual Suspects.
Of particular note are the return of House of Cards and Kevin Spacey when season two of the political drama premieres mid-month, and the final eight episodes of Breaking Bad coming at the end of the month. This is going to be a great month for television bingeing!
With Netflix’s streaming functionality being a bit difficult to navigate, especially when trying to locate newly added movies to watch, I’m cutting through the dreck and highlighting some great titles to add to your queue that are now available.
Top 12 Netflix Picks for February 2014
- Airheads (1994) – Hard rockers The Lone Rangers (Brendan Frasier, Adam Sandler and Steve Buscemi) hijack a radio station to play their demo.
- Airplane (1980) – This classic disaster movie parody plays it completely straight and helped launch Leslie Nielsen into the comedy stratosphere.
- Bubba Ho-Tep (2003) – Elvis Presley (Bruce Campbell) didn’t die, he just retired and now must do battle with an evil Egyptian mummy at his retirement home.
- Breaking Bad (2013) – The final eight episodes bring one of the finest television experiences ever to a emotional and crushing close. (Available February 24th)
- A Fistful of Dollars (1964) – This is one of the quintessential spaghetti westerns that launched The Man With No Name and is required viewing for any cinemaphile.
- House of Cards (Season 2) – Congressman Francis Underwood (Kevin Spacey) continues his political chess game of power in Washington, DC. (Available February 14th)
- A Life Less Ordinary (1997) – Get your ’90s quirk fix as a bungling janitor kidnaps a rich heiress and two angels try to get them to fall in love.
- Marathon Man (1976) – Dustin Hoffman provides an excellent performance in the classic thriller that gave us the memorable quote “Is it safe?”.
- The Naked Gun (1988) – Make it a Leslie Nielsen double feature as the comedian provides more straight man comedy as the inept detective Frank Drebin.
- Patriot Games (1992) – Harrison Ford’s Jack Ryan goes up against the Irish Republican Army. Spoiler, Sean Bean dies at the end.
- Queer as Folk (Season 1-5) – The entire series which chronicles the life of five gay men in Pittsburg is now available for your TV bingeing pleasure.
- The Usual Suspects (1995) – Relive the classic twisting crime drama (which Robert Ebert infamously gave 1Â½ stars) that helped put director Bryan Singer on the map.
January 2014 Streaming Releases Leftovers
Additionally, here are a few new additions to Netflix that were missed in my original January Best Of article:
- Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) – John Carpenter’s ode to westerns lays siege to police station as a Los Angeles gang tries to kill the cops inside.
- Cockneys vs Zombies (2012) – Zombies have arrived in London’s East End, and a gang of would-be bank robbers must save the granddad from his retirement home!
- The Last Stand (2013) – Schwarzenegger makes his explosive starring return as an aging cop who is the last defense in a sleepy town where an escaped criminal plans to cross the border to Mexico.
- MST3K – Check out two later episodes featuring Mike and the bots, “The Phantom Planet” and “Final Justice.”
- WWE – A bunch of documentaries and match collections are now available including “Falls Count Anywhere” and “n.W.o. The Revolution.”
I’ll back next month with a whole new batch of selections and recommendations for you to check out.