It’s a brand new year and with it comes a new group of additions to Netflix Instant! There’s a bunch being added to Netflix’s streaming service, so I’m here to give you some recommendations from their new offerings in movies and television series.
Some of my favorite picks include Friends (the entire series!!!), Mean Girls, Wayne’s World 2, and Bruce Almighty. There’s plenty more, but below are some of my favorite picks for the month.
Note – some are up on January 1, while others will be released throughout the month.
Top Netflix Picks for January 2015
- 101 Dalmatians (1996) â€“ Based on the Disney animated classic, this live-action adaptation stars Glenn Close perfectly cast as the villainous Cruella De Vil.
- Bad Boys II (2003) â€“ Will Smith and Martin Lawrence return for another action-adventure. The first Bad Boys is leaving Netflix at the end of the year, so be sure to catch this first.
- Bruce Almighty (2003) â€“ This Jim Carrey comedy, where he’s bestowed with the power of God and uses it to further his career as as TV reporter, was unexpectedly hilarious. Steve Carell plays rival TV anchor who gets a huge dose of Bruce’s almighty wrath.
- Cast Away (2000) â€“ Tom Hanks was on an Oscar-winning streak before he was cast away in this 2000 flick. Wilson!!!!!
- Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) â€“ This big-screen adaptation of the popular Hunter S. Thompson book stars Johnny Depp, and when you watch this you’ll feel just as whacked as the main character.
- French Connection (1971) â€“ Gene Hackman stars as “Popeye” Doyle in this action-drama based real-life events in the New York Police Department. Includes now-famous car chase scene filmed right near where I live.
- Friends (complete series – 1994-2004) – The entire run of Friends — 10 years’ worth! – is available. The show, starring Jennifer Aniston, totally holds up over time and will provide hours of laughter. Check it out!
- Mean Girls (2004) â€“ This high school comedy from Tina Fey nails it. Lindsay Lohan infiltrates a clique of “mean girls” who rule her high school in an effort to take them down.
- To be Takei (2014) – Documentary about Star Trek star George Takei and his life as an actor and activist.
- Wayne’s World 2 (1993) â€“ Party time, excellent! Mike Myers and Dana Carvey reprise their SNL characters, Wayne and Garth, for the big screen a second time in this not-as-funny-as-the-first-one sequel.
- Psych Season 8 (coming 1/8) – One of my favorite shows and probably the best one ever produced by USA Network. Season 8 comes to Netflix this month.
There’s a bunch of movies leaving Netflix at the end of the year, so here’s a few you should hurry up and watch: Backdraft, Bad Boys, The Breakfast Club, Rocky, Spaceballs.
Check back here next month for a whole new batch of selections and recommendations for you to check out!