In the comics, Marvel’s Illuminati made their debut in The New Avengers Vol.1 #7 in 2005. Formed after the events of the Kree-Skrull war, the United Nation of superheroes consisted of Sorcerer Supreme himself Doctor Strange; Black Bolt, King of the Inhumans; Charles Xavier, founder of the X-Men and mutant-rights activist; Reed Richards, founding member of the Fantastic Four; Namor the Sub-Mariner, King of Atlantis; and Iron Man (Anthony Stark), founding member of the Avengers.
With Doctor Strange hitting theaters in just a few weeks, fans will be interested in seeing if the group will form in the MCU. But as exciting as that sounds, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige says we shouldn’t get our hopes up and that they’re taking things one step at a time. Check out what he had to say below.
During last week’s Doctor Strange press conference, Feige was asked about the likelihood of seeing the secret society of superheroes on the big screen. Here’s what he had to say:
“What’s fun about the Illuminati is that certain characters interacted with other certain characters. I don’t know about that particular storyline, but certainly some of those characters you will see together on screen in the next Avengers film.”
Marvel currently holds the rights to four out of the seven founding members of the Illuminati. We’ve already seen Iron Man, Doctor Strange, and Black Panther, and the studio had plans on introducing Black Bolt in Phase 4. Plus, they just reacquired the rights to Namor this year. However, plans for the Inhumans film were scrapped and it’s not clear what plans Marvel has for Namor. The rights to Mister Fantastic and Professor Charles Xavier are at Fox. However, that shouldn’t be much of a problem if Marvel wanted to make the Illuminati happen, since the studio has no problem switching things around to fit the MCU narrative.
As for the future of Doctor Strange, Feige is taking the slow but steady approach:
“Taking it one step at a time, Benedict puts on the cloak again early next year for Avengers: Infinity War.”
That was pretty much a no-brainer, especially since Benedict Cumberbatch confirmed that he would return for the highly anticipated sequel next year.
While Cumberbatch is probably tied for a few Marvel pics other than just his standalone films, he shied away from answering how long he sees himself playing the title character. “Let’s get this film out first,” he said. “One of the things, and my thought is, being present now, and I just want to enjoy today.”
Doctor Strange opens in theaters on November 4, 2016.