The Walking Dead Universe is expanding, and the folks from AMC shared a first look at a panel discussion with the cast at this year’s New York Comic-Con of the upcoming third new series, which will be released in spring 2020. Centering on a group of teenagers who grew up safe behind walls during the apocalypse, showrunner Matt Negrete shared that he found inspiration for this coming-of-age story from 1980s classics like Stand By Me while incorporating the real danger of the zombie apocalypse.
Negrete was joined by chief content officer Scott M. Gimple and executive producer Robert Kirkman alongside cast members Alexa Mansour (â€œHopeâ€), Annet Mahendru (â€œHuckâ€), Aliyah Royale (â€œIrisâ€), Hal Cumpston (â€œSilasâ€), Nico Tortorella (â€œFelixâ€), and Nicolas Cantu (â€œEltonâ€).
Kirkman noted that this new series is â€œexpanding the universe in its biggest ways yet.â€ Though it is the third series set in The Walking Dead universe, viewers can jump in from the beginning â€“ they do not need to have watched the other shows. The panelists were able to share that the yet-to-be-named show begins in the Midwest â€“ where walkers are called â€œemptiesâ€ â€“ and it will show the first generation growing up in the apocalypse. Considering that the characters are young, and that everything one goes through at that age is very heightened, fans will see the apocalypse through a different, younger perspective. In fact, viewers will get to see this idea played out by the second episode, when there will be a big obstacle that the group will need to pass.
What We Learned About Each Character
1. Iris is the type of person who always helps everyone else, but she finally wants to go on an adventure and do something for herself.
2. Hope is a live-in-the-moment kind of individual. She likes to party and enjoy herself, but doesnâ€™t necessarily have a lot of hope.
3. Everybodyâ€™s got a reason to be outside those walls, and for Elton â€“ a science lover and researcher â€“ he wants to learn more about the outside. Elton may be young, but he is a wise, old soul.
4. Silas is an introvert, someone who never really lets on exactly what heâ€™s feeling. His reason for going beyond the walls is for a fresh start.
5. The role of Huck is a very physical one. Sheâ€™s tough as nails â€“ sporting a gash on her face. Huck has seen some terrible things, but is part of a wonderful community that she will do anything for to keep them safe.
6. Tortorellaâ€™s birthday fell on the first day of filming and Felix â€“ Tortorellaâ€™s character who also identifies as queer â€“ celebrates his own birthday in the first scene. Tortorellaâ€™s portrayal of Felix extends their work breaking down the binary. They also noted that the only binary on the show that exists is dead and alive.
The new series from The Walking Dead Universe will premiere in Spring 2020.