The cast and crew of the popular CBS series The Big Bang Theory made an appearance at Hall H at San Diego Comic-Con today. The panelists included producers Chuck Lorre, Bill Prady, and Steven Molaro, along with cast members Mayim Bialik, Kaley Cuoco, Kunal Nayyar, Simon Helberg, Melissa Rauch, and via satellite, Jim Parsons (Johnny Galecki’s plane was delayed so he missed the panel, but was expected to appear for other events later today).
Check out our photos of the cast and crew from The Big Bang Theory panel.
Aside from a gag reel from Season 5 (out on DVD and Blu-ray this September 11th), no other new footage was shown, but the actors all managed to keep the fans entertained with a lot of jokes and quip. The time was taken up by the panelists fielding questions from the audience members, with the majority of the fans coming up to the mike being small children looking and sounding adorable.
Some of the topics covered were how the actors deal with dialogue on things they might not understand (like the science); the LEGO Death Star (how the show’s assistants painstakingly had to put together this mammoth LEGO structure); having both Leonard Nimoy and Stephen Hawking guest star on the show; and how Raj fell in love with the iPhone’s Siri.
Also, since Helberg’s character ended Season 5 by blasting off into space, astronaut Richard Searfoss came out and offered to take the actor up into space on one of his space tours. Then, all the fans that got to ask questions at the panel, picked envelopes, each with prizes, one of which was the space trip.
A sample of some of the questions were:
– Now that Howard and Bernadette are married, will Raj get a love interest?
The producers said that they do have a romance plan for Raj.
– Why does Sheldon like The Flash?
Because he was bullied as a kid and The Flash is a superhero who could run away really fast from bullies.
– What are some of the personality traits that the actors share with their characters.
Mayim Baliak says she shares personality traits with Sheldon.
– Chuck Lorre also producers the CBS series Two and a Half Men, so could there be a crossover between that show and The Big Bang Theory.
Lorre said they always joke that one of the guys from The Big Bang Theory would make a great tutor for Men‘s Jake.
– Why are the characters always eating out or eating take-out.
Jim Parsons said they are all too busy changing the world around us to cook.
– A fan dressed as Wolowitz asked how does Helberg fit into those tight outfits.
Helberg replied, “You feel my pain, don’t you?”
– Favorite lines:
The cast had a hard time coming up with quotes on the spot, but Bialik said she loved saying, “It’s a tiara.” Parsons said he likes saying things to Leonard like, “I don’t know your life.”
– A fan dressed as Spider-Man asked: “Do you think Magneto can lift Thor’s hammer?” (No one answered.)