As of January 1, 2014, the streaming movie selection on Netflix will be losing more than 80 titles of both high and low caliber quality due to expiring license agreements. From top shelf content like Being John Malkovich to Z-grade content like Troll 2, a little something for everyone will be disappearing from their streaming service.
While many of these films will still be available for purchase via Blu-ray and DVD, that instant accessibility and choice deriving from the age old question â€œWhat should we watch?â€ will be lost. But fear not! Here, for your browsing pleasure, are two top 10 lists — one for the best films Netflix is losing and one for the â€œworstâ€ films — along with some comments. Check out the lists here below, and then start watching!
Top 10 Expiring Streaming Films on Netflix
- Being John Malkovich â€“ Malkovich. Malkovich. Malkovich? Malkovich, Malkovich!
- Brick â€“ High school teens talk and act like they are in a film noir; with Joseph Gordon Levitt in the lead role.
- Platoon – Oliver Stoneâ€™s semi-biographical portrayal of the Vietnam war.
- Braveheart – Mel Gibsonâ€™s Best Picture of the Year from 1995 is still an epic film nearly twenty years later.
- Man on the Moon â€“ From the files of â€œholy crap, Jim Carrey can act!â€ comes the tale of comic legend Andy Kaufman.
- Ronin â€“ Some of the absolute best car chases this side of The French Connection and Bullitt. A must watch!
- Capote â€“ Philip Seymour Hoffmanâ€™s mesmerizing portrayal of author Truman Capote.
- Requiem For A Dream â€“ Still one of the best â€œdrugs are bad, mâ€™kay?â€ movies around with amazing performances throughout.
- Half Baked â€“ One of the penultimate stoner comedies, whether you are actually stoned or not.
- Top Gun â€“ Relive the highway to the danger zone and take my breath away.
10 â€œWorstâ€ (but Entertaining!) Expiring Streaming Movies
- Species – Natasha Henstridge gets naked while Ben Kingsley and Michael Madsen chew up scene after scene.
- Hard Target â€“ John Wooâ€™s American debut featuring Jean-Claude Van Damme blowing up the Bayou.
- Killer Klowns From Outer Space â€“ An amazing slice of 1980s cult cinema whose title tells you everything you need to know.
- Once Upon A Time In Mexico â€“ The close of Robert Rodriguezâ€™ Mariachi trilogy is deliciously over-the-top.
- Can’t Hardly Wait â€“ One of the better 1990s teen comedies, if only for Seth Green.
- Scary Movie â€“ Parody of the late 1990s horror cycle and is actually pretty enjoyable.
- Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell â€“ Star Wars fans should heed this great Hammer film starring Peter Cushing and David Prowse.
- Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back – Take a trip through the View Askewniverse and witness Mark Hamill at some of his maddest.
- Street Fighter â€“ An utterly abysmal video game movie made legend for being Raul Juliaâ€™s final film.
- Troll II – If this film is truly deserving of the title â€œWorst Film Ever Madeâ€ yet still manages to entertain.
Of course, this is all subjective based on this humble writerâ€™s viewing habits. For the full list of expiring films, check out the ongoing discussion on Reddit.