As far as 2014 in TV shows go, Fargo is one of the best. Because of the resounding success and acclaim the miniseries has received, FX ordered a second season. However, the upcoming season wouldn’t follow Molly and Gus Grimly solving a series of murders in their small town again; instead, it will center on a younger Lou Solverson (played by Keith Carradine in season one) returning from a tour of duty in Vietnam, and the incident that occurred in Sioux Falls, SD, which was often mentioned during the first season.
Jesse Plemons and Kirsten Dunst were the first to be cast in the new season as a married couple. Now, it has been confirmed that Patrick Wilson (Watchmen) has been cast as the younger Lou Solverson. Ted Danson, Jean Smart, Nick Offerman, Brad Garrett, Kieran Culkin, Bokeem Woodbine, Jeffrey Donovan, and Angus Sampson are all also confirmed to have roles in the new series. Hit the jump for more.
Variety, who was the first to report on the casting, also provided some descriptions for the characters.
- The younger Solverson is described as â€œa young clean-cut Minnesota State Patrolman, four years back from Vietnam, where he served in the Navy.â€
- Ted Danson will play Solverson’s father-in-law, who also happens to be the Sheriff of Rock County, Minnesota.
- Jean Smart is Floyd Gerhardt, â€œthe matriarch of the Gerhardt crime family.â€
Offerman, Garrett, Culkin, Woodbine, Donovan, and Sampson will all also appear in recurring roles. HitFix also had some descriptions on those roles roles:
- Nick Offerman will play Karl Weathers, the town lawyer for Luverne, Minnesota. Karl is “a Korean War vet, Karl is a flowery drunk blessed with the gift of gab and the eloquence of a true con artist.”
- Brad Garrett will play Joe Bulo, frontman for a new crime syndicate trying to push in from Kansas City, while Bokeem Woodbine will play Joe’s enforcer Mike Milligan.
- Jeffrey Donovan is set as Dodd Gerhardt, Floyd’s eldest son, a hothead who isn’t pleased to now be reporting to his mother. Angus Sampson will play Bear Gerhardt, Floyd’s middle son, with Kieran Culkin as youngest Gerhardt Rye.
Production for Season 2 of Fargo will begin in Calgary on January 19, 2015.
[Source: Variety | HitFix]