Every year at Con season, Marvel EIC Joe Quesada likes to take time out to connect with fans at the fan favorite Cup O Joe panel. Taking questions as well as making a few announcements, Quesada gives it to ’em straight and usually brings a few friends along.
At New York Comic Con this past weekend, Quesada thankfully did have a few friends in tow. Joining him on the panel was marketing maven Jim McCann, Marvel Publisher Dan Buckley, uber writer Brian Michael Bendis, and the world traveling talent scout/writer CB Cebulski.
Sitting down to a rousing welcome from the crowd, Quesada pre-ambled to the crowd that this panel is as fun as they make it, and luckily the fans decided on “fun” for the day by cheering their faces off. After introducing the rest of the crew, Joe directed everyone’s attention to the PowerPoint presentation for the announcements segment.
First off, Halo. The Bendis/Maleev adaptation will be expanding into two more series, starting with Halo Returns. According to McCann, they will be monthly and they are working hard to keep to that schedule.
Next up, Ultimate She-Hulk. It is indeed on the way, and Secret Invasion superstar Lenil Francis Yu will be providing the art.
Staying on the Ultimate Universe, the next announcement brought as many groans as it did cheers. As it was announced on Friday, Marvel is indeed canceling the Ultimate Universe when Ultimatum wraps up. Knowing this included Ultimate Spider-Man, Bendis channeled his best Christian Bale and screamed “We’re done professionally!!!” at Quesada.
But all is not lost! With the end of the Ultimate Universe, Ultimate Comics shall rise. One of the first titles in this new line will be a new Spidey book with Bendis at the helm with art by David LaFuente. Cycling through more slides, McCann showed an intense sketch of Ultimate Cap smashing through a window on motorcycle. “Does this motorcycle stand for France?!” shrieked McCann.
Moving onto the Q&A, here are some of the nuggets the cabal let slip:
* Bendis promised that there will be much more of Jessica Jones and her relationship with Luke Cage in New Avengers.
* Bendis assured us that Peter Parker’s parents were in fact present at the birth of Ultimate Hulk, which gives way to his unique relationship with Nick Fury.
* Will Norman Osborn recognize Spider-Man when they meet in the post Secret Invasion/One More Day/Dark Reign world? Bendis called up the hiding Dan Slott to answer, and Slott said that
Norman will in fact realize who is under Spidey’s mask there will be an important Norman/Spider-Man arc coming up with Joe Kelly’s “American Son” arc and Slott’s upcoming Spidey/Fantastic Four two-parter (in ASM #590 and #591) will bring up the fact that people really SHOULD know who’s under that mask.
* According to Buckley, the new Ultimate line will consist of four monthly titles initially.
* Millar has an interest in expanding the “Old Man Logan” universe, its just a matter of when he will be able to devote more time to it.
* Who will be taking over Runaways? We’ll just have to wait and see “¦
* One fan asked why on earth Hank Pym is leading an Avengers team? “Because he is the greatest super hero EVER!” bellowed Slott, who writes said Avengers team.
* Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man partner Stuart Immomen will be penciling New Avengers in the near future.
Keep it bitchin’.