The future is here! Or maybe it isn’t. Guys, seriously, is the future here or not?
A major announcement shook the pillars of the Interweb recently. HUVr Tech announced through a new celebrity-fueled campaign that they have a fully functional hoverboard. No seriously. A fucking hoverboard! Like, Back To The Future II-style hoverboard.
Now the bad news…it’s all apparently been an elaborate prank by Funny Or Die. Continue reading for more.
Here’s what we knew earlier today:
1. There was that bitchin’ video (seen here), featuring celebs like Tony Hawk, Moby, and Doc Brown himself Christopher Lloyd. Hawk even posted to his Facebook page that “HOVERBOARDS ARE REAL (finally!) thanks to @huvrtech” with the hastag #theyrehere.
2. They have a slick website with endorsements from Shark Tank‘s own Mark Cuban.
3. On their Facebook page, they still swear it’s real (seeing as how the Internet as a whole is declaring shenanigans).
4. Their engineer is apparently also an actor.
5. There is finally a good reason to use that Taken meme.
While the website still lists a countdown and their social media swears preorders will be available this month with the first prosumer priced boards shipping out in December, Mashable busted the story wide open a few hours ago with word of the discovery that a costume designer who worked on the shoot listed it on her resume, and by doing so dashed the dreams of every child of the 1980s.
Here’s what’s included on her resume:
FUNNY OR DIE
Commercial: Back to the Future HUVR BOARDS
Talent: TONY HAWK, MOBY, TERREL OWENS, SCHOOLBOY Q, CHRISTOPHER LLOYD, etc.
Key Wardrobe: Lydia Bauer
Assistant Wardrobe: Lauren Biedenharn
Piled on top of that, the actor mentioned above has the lead role of “Young Scientist” in something for Funny or Die listed on his resume as well.
So what does this mean? Well…FoD found a dangerous bridge to troll under. Hoverboards and jetpacks are the holy grails of sci-fi wants, so this was just cruel. Damned-hell-ass cruel (I’m stomping my feet as I type this).
You got us FoD. But still…