The Drill Down 355: Year In Review 2014
Friday, December 19th, 2014 at 12:13 pm
This week, The Drill Down crew looks back at the year in tech and the web for the year 2014. Weâ€™ll discuss our favorite tech events of the past year, and what we can expect in 2015.
Audible Book of the Week
Hot Topic: Top Tech Stories of 2014
- Flappy Bird– Surprises Everyone
- ALS Icebucket Challenge used social and video in an entirely new way.
- iPhone 6 & Watch– Appleâ€™s shown everyone that they can make compelling products even if they clearly follow the trends started by others.
- Tesla– The Gigafactory, the P85D cheap supercar, the Model III announcement
- Side note: Americaâ€™s still got it. (ride share, air bnb, google news, tesla, etc.)
- Net Neutrality
- Alibaba IPO– it was hugest tech IPO in history and didnâ€™t have any crazy irregularities. aka there is still public appetite for tech stocks
- the convergence of tech and law enforcement: legality of fingerprint unlocking devices, air and water drone usage, cameras on cops?
- Netflix Agrees to Pay Comcast to End Web Traffic Jam
- HBO Will Have a Standalone Streaming Video Service Next Year
- Marvel canâ€™t do anything wrong
Music Break: Pop Danthology 2014 by Daniel Kim
- Rise of ridesharing
- Apple Pay
- New leadership at Microsoft
- Sony Pictures hack
- Obama urges FCC to classify Internet as utility
Biggest Fails of 2014
- Corporate security compromises
- Bitcoin hacks/Mt. Gox crash
- Uber and
- Government: NSA/FBI/CIA — All getting caught with their â€œlaw enforcementâ€ measures
- Gamergate – The Gaming industryâ€™s failure to help women feel safe and accepted across the Internet.
Music Break: United State of Pop 2014 (Do What You Wanna Do) by DJ Earworm
Predictions for 2015
- The Year of Wearable & fitness (everything has a heart-rate monitor (â€œHRMâ€) in it)
- Fitbit controls 69% of the 2014 market and has new devices coming out.
- Appleâ€™s watch will make a(n expensive) splash
- Garmin is renewed with Vivofit
- Jawbone Up even ties into iFTTT (so does Fitbit)
- Streaming over-coming broadcast for most users under 30 years of age
- Government and the clash with technology (a lot of things will need to be regulated and rules on the books will need to change. As well as internet control of ISPs vs distributors, etc)
- Rise of commercial drones?
The Drill Down Videos of the Week
The Drill Down on iTunes (Subscribe now!)
Add us on Stitcher!
The Drill Down on Facebook
The Drill Down on Twitter
Geeks Of Doomâ€™s The Drill Down is a roundtable-style audio podcast where we discuss the most important issues of the week, in tech and on the web and how they affect us all.
Hosts are Geeks of Doom contributor Andrew Sorcini (Mr. BabyMan), marketing research analyst Dwayne De Freitas, and Box tech consultant Tosin Onafowokan. Occasionally joining them is Startup Digest CTO Christopher Burnor.
, Apple Pay
, Apple Watch
, Barack Obama
, Federal Communications Commission
, Flappy Bird
, HBO Go
, Ice Bucket Challenge
, iPhone 6
, Jawbone Up
, Law Enforcement
, Mt. Gox
, National Security Agency
, Net Neutrality
, North Korea
, President Obama
, Satya Nadella
, Sony Pictures
, streaming Video
, Tesla P85D
, The Interview
, Wearable Tech
, year in review