Last week, a rumor surfaced that Idris Elba would play a villainous Klingon in the untitled third Star Trek film
Now, since this was a rumor, everyone’s favorite game “will he or won’t he play said character” was being played. Well, the game is over, as Star Trek 3 lead writer and film star Simon Pegg confirmed that Elba won’t play a Klingon, but doesn’t deny the rumors that the Luther star has been approached for a role in the new movie. More after the jump, including a video of Pegg addressing the rumors.
Speaking to Absolute Radio, Pegg said this:
Thatâ€™s not true. No, no, no. I heard thereâ€™s a rumor heâ€™s been spoken to about stuff, so he may be in the film but he wonâ€™t be a Klingon. [Laughs.] Or maybe he will!
If you’re thinking that this all sounds familiar, it’s because we’ve heard something like this during the production of Star Trek Into Darkness. During that time, director J.J. Abrams and the rest of the cast continually denied that Benedict Cumberbatch was Khan and said he was playing a different character, up until the day of the press screenings. This didn’t sit well with fans or critics when his true character was revealed. However, Pegg isn’t even done writing the script, so he isn’t exactly in a giving mood to spoil something that significant. Though I understand the effort of getting a massive spoiler.
Since filming hasn’t even begun, we don’t know what Star Trek 3 will be about, although Pegg has stated that he wants to have something that “captures the spirit of the show” instead of it being a reference to a certain episode.
Co-written by Doug Jung and directed by Justin Lin, Star Trek 3 is scheduled for a July 8, 2016 release in theaters.