It’s already been nearly three years since it was reported that an adaptation of Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra‘s incredible comic book Y: The Last Man was now being developed as a TV series at FX instead of the long in-development movie, and nearly two years since we found out that Logan and Blade Runner 2049 writer and former American Gods showrunner Michael Green would be the showrunner. It’s since been announced that AÃ¯da Mashaka Croal (Luke Cage, Jessica Jones) will also be sharing showrunner duties with Green.
Now things are really starting to heat up as a cast for the series, which is simply titled Y, has been announced. Starring in the pilot episode will be Barry Keoghan (Dunkirk, The Killing of a Sacred Deer), Lashana Lynch (Captain Marvel, Brotherhood), Imogen Poots (Green Room, 28 Weeks Later), Diane Lane (Unfaithful, Man of Steel), Juliana Canfield (Succession, Plain Fiction), and Marin Ireland (Sneaky Pete, Hell or High Water).
Continue below to see who the actors will be playing.
Here’s the rundown of who’s playing who along with character descriptions courtesy of Deadline:
- Keoghan is Yorick Brown, a young man quick to use humor to deflect from his problems who may be the lone male survivor of a worldwide plague.
- Lynch is Agent 355, a Secret Service agent who performs the duties of her job with the utmost professionalism, even under the most unexpected set of circumstances.
- Poots will play Hero Brown. A tough and confident EMT, Hero nurses a deep emotional trauma that often leads her to cross personal and professional lines.
- Lane will play Senator Jennifer Brown. A Junior Senator in her first term, Senator Brown has already made a name for herself in political circles for her willingness to put personal ideals above politics. She is also the mother of Yorick and Hero Brown.
- Canfield will play Beth. A Brooklyn-based knife maker, Beth grew up on a farm and went to New York to experience the big city. She finds something endearing about the hapless Yorick and when theyâ€™re together, thereâ€™s the undeniable spark of two kids in love.
- Ireland portrays Nora, the Presidentâ€™s senior assistant and right hand. She effortlessly balances family life with a job navigating the corridors of power.
The most notable character not included in this casting announcement is Allison Mann. My guess is that she doesn’t show up in the pilot episode, and since that’s all this show is at the moment, we’ll have to wait to find out if FX gives it the full series order before that role is cast. At least that’s my hope.
It’s either that or the Nora character, who I believe is an original character not found in the comics (could be wrong, but I don’t remember her and couldn’t find anything on her), is the show’s Allison. Which wouldn’t make much sense. I don’t see it going over so well with fans if they decided to change things up so much that Allison’s not even in it. With Vaughan writing along with Green and also executive producing, I highly doubt that’s the case.
Oh, and another important role not yet cast is Yorick’s monkey of course. What? I don’t think it’s asking too much to hope that Andy Serkis plays Ampersand. You know you want it.
Melina Matsoukas (Insecure, Master of None) is directing the pilot episode of Y.
If you’ve never read Y: The Last Man before you should definitely check it out if you aren’t holding off until after you watch the show.
Follow me on Twitter.